Harry A. Faull
Every once in a while, you find a person whose accomplishments cause you to pause and consider what a difference they were able to make in a relatively short amount of time. Harry Faull was such an individual. Mr. Faull was a dedicated community leader and a public servant in the truest sense of the term. The Harry A. Faull Library (on Chanselorway) was dedicated on December 11, 1980 to honor the memory of a man whose passion and commitment to his community should be an inspiration to us all. In preserving the name of the Harry A. Faull Library through the move to the new campus on One College Drive, we honor not only the individual, but the dedication, honesty and values he held so dear.
Mr. Faull attended public schools in Coalinga and Whittier, CA, and attended Whittier College in 1927 before transferring to the University of Notre Dame in 1928. The Great Depression forced Mr. Faull to put his education on hold so that he could go to work. He worked on the construction of the Hoover Dam and for the Southern Counties Gas Co. before he purchased Calsol Inc., a chemicals and solvent business in Pomona, CA.
Mr. Faull was active politically and socially in Pomona. He served on the city council for four years and also served as the mayor of Pomona. As mayor, he began organizing the construction of the Pomona Civic Center and received county approval for the construction of the East Judicial District courthouse; he also successfully revised the city charter in 1964. Mr. Faull was also the first president of the Southern California Rapid Transit District.
Mr. Faull was extremely active in fraternal and social organizations throughout his life. In Pomona, Mr. Faull served as the Exalted Ruler of the Elks, the Chairman of the Community Chest and the President of the Chamber of Commerce. He was also the Director of the local chapter of the American Red Cross, the president of the Pomona Valley Historical Society and Chairman of the fund drive that made it possible to build St. Joseph's Catholic Church.
Mr. Faull first visited Blythe in 1962 on a hunting trip and liked the community so well that he and his wife, Margaret, purchased land and became regular weekend visitors. In 1969, he sold the company to his son and moved to Blythe. In Blythe, Mr. Faull continued his education, earning his Associate of Arts degree from Palo Verde Community College in 1976.
Mr. Faull also became politically active in our college community, feeling that the college was a resource that should be nurtured and promoted and that it would be a wonderful opportunity to serve his community once again. He was elected to the Board of Trustees in 1975 and served as Board President for the 1976-1977 school year. Mr. Faull remained an active member of the Board until his death in July 1980.
Written/Researched by Dyan Perley, former PVC Librarian